Meeting the NDIS


Home > Me and my family > Meeting the NDIS


Meeting the NDIS

Jan 17, 2024


The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) provides funding to people who have functional impairments caused by their disability. Because Prader-Willi syndrome is so rare and complex, there is a risk that the NDIS assessment authority will not understand the needs. Therefore, PWSA is providing the following articles to help you navigate the NDIS.

There is a comprehensive process for the NDIS.
When you first apply, you will need to

  • fill an online eligibility form
  • supply a lot of documentation
  • meet a representative of the NDIS.

After a Plan and budget is issued, there will be a review every year or two.

Learn about the NDIS process and PWS:

Applying for the NDIS
Steps and tips to improve the planning outcome: Preparing for the NDIS process.
What should the NDIS planner know about PWS? Information for NDIS Planners, Local Area Coordinators and Support Coordinators.


You may need a place to live outside the family home that is suitable for living with PWS. Many families in Australia have had this experience. There are two components to the NDIS home and living budget:
The physical premises can be subsidised by the NDIS under a category called Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) which you may be eligible for, and
The staff workers that provide the support inside the home is under a category called Supported Independent Living (SIL).

Specialist support for PWS from SDA and SIL

It usually takes many months organising and liaising with providers to get ready for the transition. This might mean moving from the family home, or moving from one type of disability accommodation to another. For guidance and best practice see:
Moving out of home – NDIS planning steps
Supporting people with PWS in residential settings

Get in touch

We welcome enquiries about anything related to PWS. This could be about the changes through the life stage of living with PWS, individual needs, services, getting help or interacting with the NDIS, the Quality and Safeguards Commission or the AAT.

Contact us